Kanban System Design (KMPi), Accredited by Kanban University – Recognized globally as the leading certifying body for Kanban professionals.
About this Event
Kanban System Design (KSD) is a two-day class and is designed for anyone wanting to learn the most advanced 21st management method to better manage work at the individual level, team level, and organization level. Whether you are a senior manager or an individual contributor; whether you are a technical person or not; whether you are working in a project-based, product-based or service-based organization or a combination of all above; You will still get valuable, practical, actionable, evidence-based management guidance to better manage your work and improve the whole system (team, or organization).
Kanban System Design (KSD) class proceeds Kanban Management Professional (KMP) class which is a two-day class designed to address organization-wide services, scaling issues, and advanced evolutionary change management.
You will need to complete both KSD and KMP class to gain Kanban Management Professional Credential.
After this class, you will learn how to use Kanban method elements to improve a Service, and you will also learn how to design a service and how to discover one starting from Customer needs to needs fulfilled.
To do that, you will use a powerful coaching technique, called STATIK to take advantage of several bodies of knowledge; such as System Thinking, Lean Thinking, Information Theory, Queueing Theory, Complexity Theory, Probability and Statistics, Service Design; to analyze and improve any service within the organization.
After this class, you will be able to :
- Explain Kanban Agenda and motivation behind the Kanban method, and decide where to use Kanban to get the most impact.
- Handle interruptions and how to handle multi competing works that go through the system without having the negative effect of multitasking at individual, team and organizational level.
- Decide when to not use Push System and Resource Utilisation and instead when to take advantage of Pull Systems and Flow Efficiency of work.
- Strategically set Work-in-Process Limits (WIP Limit) at the right place to get the most benefits, such as getting to pull or increase throughput or reduce lead time.
- Manage WIP Limits to achieve the desired outcome; whether it is to accelerate throughput or shortening lead time, causing more collaboration or increasing delivery predictability.
- Design service level feedback loops to coordinate work better, make the right improvements decision, and meet customers’ need more effectively.
- Design necessary information radiators and visualization to capture work, its state, risks and the health of the system and reduce dark matters.
- Make faster and better decisions with the right visualization and metrics.
- Manage incoming work effectively based on their risks, urgencies and priorities through techniques such as Class of Service and Work Type definition.
- See the organization as a network of services, and recognize the elements that govern the performance of those services via deep dive into the System Thinking Approach in Implementing Kanban (STATIK) coaching technique.
Who Should Attend?
We believe that Kanban method is for all people who are in knowledge and creative work domain and in service business. Especially those who manage these businesses.
Managers: C-Level executives, Directors, Business Unit Managers, People Managers, Service Delivery Managers, Technical Directors, Heads of PMO, Heads of Product
Individual Contributors: Software Engineers, QA Specialists, Release Managers, Project Managers, Portfolio or Program Managers, Project Governance auditors and process engineers, Scrum Masters, Agile Coaches, Product Owners, Product Managers.
There is no prerequisite.
But, it is highly recommend to read Kanban Blue book by David J Anderson or Essential Kanban Condensed. (You will receive a physical copy of both books when you attend the class.)
Kanban University® Credential
After completion of Kanban System Design (KSD/KMPi) and Kanban Management Professional (KMPii) classes, participants will receive internationally recognized Kanban Management Professional (KMP) credential.
Day 1 – Overview
- The meaning of Kanban and Motivation the motivation behind it.
- Kanban method in action.
- Key elements of a Kanban system, such as commitment points, work item types, classes of service, explicit policies, cadences
- Kanban system mechanics, such as pull, replenishment, delivery
- Key Kanban system indicators, such as lead time and cumulative-flow diagram
- Simulations of Flow, Multi Tasking, FLow Efficiency, Pull System and Kanban System
- Working with WIP Limit to meet system objectives
Day 2 – STATIK: the systems thinking approach to introducing Kanban
- Kanban case study
- Creating context for change
- Demand analysis
- Workflow visualization
- Discovering and designing classes of service
- Replenishment and delivery cadences
- Kanban system visualization
- Both days consist largely of interactive group exercises, games and simulations.
A physical copy of the definitive short guide to the method, Essential Kanban Condensed by David J. Anderson and Huge.IO’s Andy Carmichael.
A physical copy of the book Kanban by David J. Anderson.
A digital copy of the slides and references.
Certificate of Completion of Lean Kanban University Certified Kanban Training, digital format.
Membership in Lean Kanban University and a listing in the LKU Alumni Directory.
This is the first of two steps to the KMP credential. Order with the KMP II course, Kanban Cadences and receive a 10% discount on the second course.
Substitutions of participants are allowed anytime until the start of the class
Refunds are provided as follows: 35 days or more, 100%; 15 days or more, 50%
The organizer reserves the right to cancel classes if registrations are insufficient.
The organizer reserves the right to change the location of the class.